Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Jn 6, 52-54 Whoever eats my flesh has eternal life

(Jn 6, 52-54) Whoever eats my flesh has eternal life
[52] The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us (his) flesh to eat?" [53] Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. [54] Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
(CCC 1338) The three synoptic Gospels and St. Paul have handed on to us the account of the institution of the Eucharist; St. John, for his part, reports the words of Jesus in the synagogue of Capernaum that prepare for the institution of the Eucharist: Christ calls himself the bread of life, come down from heaven (Cf. Jn 6). (CCC 1406) Jesus said: "I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; . . . he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and . . . Abides in me, and I in him" Jn 6:51, 54, 56). (CCC 1407) The Eucharist is the heart and the summit of the Church's life, for in it Christ associates his Church and all her members with his sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving offered once for all on the cross to his Father; by this sacrifice he pours out the graces of salvation on his Body which is the Church.

No comments: