Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Acts 2, 24-29 But God raised him up

(Acts 2, 24-29) But God raised him up
[24] But God raised him up, releasing him from the throes of death, because it was impossible for him to be held by it. [25] For David says of him: 'I saw the Lord ever before me, with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed. [26] Therefore my heart has been glad and my tongue has exulted; my flesh, too, will dwell in hope, [27] because you will not abandon my soul to the netherworld, nor will you suffer your holy one to see corruption. [28] You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.' [29] My brothers, one can confidently say to you about the patriarch David that he died and was buried, and his tomb is in our midst to this day.
(CCC 745) The Son of God was consecrated as Christ (Messiah) by the anointing of the Holy Spirit at his Incarnation (cf. Ps 2:6-7). (CCC 746) By his Death and his Resurrection, Jesus is constituted in glory as Lord and Christ (cf. Acts 2:36). From his fullness, he poured out the Holy Spirit on the apostles and the Church. (CCC 617) The Council of Trent emphasizes the unique character of Christ's sacrifice as "the source of eternal salvation" (Heb 5:9) and teaches that "his most holy Passion on the wood of the cross merited justification for us" (Council of Trent: DS 1529). And the Church venerates his cross as she sings: "Hail, O Cross, our only hope" (LH, Lent, Holy Week, Evening Prayer, Hymn Vexilla Regis). (CCC 619) "Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures" (1 Cor 15:3). (CCC 620) Our salvation flows from God's initiative of love for us, because "he loved us and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins" (1 Jn 4:10). "God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself" (2 Cor 5:19). (CCC 621) Jesus freely offered himself for our salvation. Beforehand, during the Last Supper, he both symbolized this offering and made it really present: "This is my body which is given for you" (Lk 22:19).

No comments: