Friday, March 7, 2008

Acts 24, 10-16 I hope there will be a resurrection

(Acts 24, 10-16) I hope there will be a resurrection
[10] Then the governor motioned to him to speak and Paul replied, "I know that you have been a judge over this nation for many years and so I am pleased to make my defense before you. [11] As you can verify, not more than twelve days have passed since I went up to Jerusalem to worship. [12] Neither in the temple, nor in the synagogues, nor anywhere in the city did they find me arguing with anyone or instigating a riot among the people. [13] Nor can they prove to you the accusations they are now making against me. [14] But this I do admit to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our ancestors and I believe everything that is in accordance with the law and written in the prophets. [15] I have the same hope in God as they themselves have that there will be a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous. [16] Because of this, I always strive to keep my conscience clear before God and man.
(CCC 1794) A good and pure conscience is enlightened by true faith, for charity proceeds at the same time "from a pure heart and a good conscience and sincere faith" (1 Tim 5; cf. 3:9; 2 Tim 3; 1 Pet 3:21; Acts 24:16). The more a correct conscience prevails, the more do persons and groups turn aside from blind choice and try to be guided by objective standards of moral conduct (GS 16). (CCC 2504) "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor" (Ex 20:16). Christ's disciples have "put on the new man, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness" (Eph 4:24). (CCC 2505) Truth or truthfulness is the virtue which consists in showing oneself true in deeds and truthful in words, and guarding against duplicity, dissimulation, and hypocrisy. (CCC 2508) Lying consists in saying what is false with the intention of deceiving one’s neighbor. (CCC 2509) An offense committed against the truth requires reparation.

No comments: