Wednesday, May 7, 2008

1Cor 9, 19,23 I have made myself a slave to all

(1Cor 9, 19,23) I have made myself a slave to all
[19] Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible. [20] To the Jews I became like a Jew to win over Jews; to those under the law I became like one under the law - though I myself am not under the law - to win over those under the law. [21] To those outside the law I became like one outside the law - though I am not outside God's law but within the law of Christ - to win over those outside the law. [22] To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some. [23] All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it.
(CCC 876) Intrinsically linked to the sacramental nature of ecclesial ministry is its character as service. Entirely dependent on Christ who gives mission and authority, ministers are truly "slaves of Christ" (Cf. Rom 1:1) in the image of him who freely took "the form of a slave" for us (Phil 2:7). Because the word and grace of which they are ministers are not their own, but are given to them by Christ for the sake of others, they must freely become the slaves of all (Cf. 1 Cor 9:19). (CCC 24) By design, this Catechism does not set out to provide the adaptation of doctrinal presentations and catechetical methods required by the differences of culture, age, spiritual maturity, and social and ecclesial condition among all those to whom it is addressed. Such indispensable adaptations are the responsibility of particular catechisms and, even more, of those who instruct the faithful: Whoever teaches must become "all things to all men" (1 Cor 9:22), to win everyone to Christ… Above all, teachers must not imagine that a single kind of soul has been entrusted to them, and that consequently it is lawful to teach and form equally all the faithful in true piety with one and the same method! Let them realize that some are in Christ as newborn babes, others as adolescents, and still others as adults in full command of their powers.... Those who are called to the ministry of preaching must suit their words to the maturity and understanding of their hearers, as they hand on the teaching of the mysteries of faith and the rules of moral conduct (Roman Catechism, Preface II; cf. 1 Cor 9:22; 1 Pt 2:2).

No comments: