Thursday, January 22, 2009

2Tim 4, 9-17 The Lord stood by me, gave me strength

(2Tim 4, 9-17) The Lord stood by me, gave me strength
[9] Try to join me soon, [10] for Demas, enamored of the present world, deserted me and went to Thessalonica, Crescens to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia. [11] Luke is the only one with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is helpful to me in the ministry. [12] I have sent Tychicus to Ephesus. [13] When you come, bring the cloak I left with Carpus in Troas, the papyrus rolls, and especially the parchments. [14] Alexander the coppersmith did me a great deal of harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds. [15] You too be on guard against him, for he has strongly resisted our preaching. [16] At my first defense no one appeared on my behalf, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them! [17] But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the proclamation might be completed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was rescued from the lion's mouth.
(CCC 1154) The liturgy of the Word is an integral part of sacramental celebrations. To nourish the faith of believers, the signs which accompany the Word of God should be emphasized: the book of the Word (a lectionary or a book of the Gospels), its veneration (procession, incense, candles), the place of its proclamation (lectern or ambo), its audible and intelligible reading, the minister's homily which extends its proclamation, and the responses of the assembly (acclamations, meditation psalms, litanies, and profession of faith). (CCC 1155) The liturgical word and action are inseparable both insofar as they are signs and instruction and insofar as they accomplish what they signify. When the Holy Spirit awakens faith, he not only gives an understanding of the Word of God, but through the sacraments also makes present the "wonders" of God which it proclaims. The Spirit makes present and communicates the Father's work, fulfilled by the beloved Son.

No comments: