Tuesday, July 21, 2009

2Jn vv. 5-6 Let us love one another

(2Jn vv. 5-6) Let us love one another
[5] But now, Lady, I ask you, not as though I were writing a new commandment but the one we have had from the beginning: let us love one another. [6] For this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, as you heard from the beginning, in which you should walk.
(CCC 1823) Jesus makes charity the new commandment (Cf. Jn 13:34). By loving his own "to the end" (Jn 13:1) he makes manifest the Father's love which he receives. By loving one another, the disciples imitate the love of Jesus which they themselves receive. Whence Jesus says: "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love." and again: "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you" (Jn 15:9, 12).

No comments: