Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hos 11, 1-4 I drew them with human cords

(Hos 11, 1-4) I drew them with human cords

[1] 1 When Israel was a child I loved him, out of Egypt I called my son. [2] The more I called them, the farther they went from me, Sacrificing to the Baals and burning incense to idols. [3] Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk, who took them in my arms; [4] I drew them with human cords, with bands of love; I fostered them like one who raises an infant to his cheeks; Yet, though I stooped to feed my child, they did not know that I was their healer.

(CCC 219) God's love for Israel is compared to a father's love for his son. His love for his people is stronger than a mother's for her children. God loves his people more than a bridegroom his beloved; his love will be victorious over even the worst infidelities and will extend to his most precious gift: "God so loved the world that he gave his only Son"(Jn 3:16; cf. Hos 11:1; Isa 49:14-15; 62 :4-5; Ezek 16; Hos 11).

No comments: