Saturday, March 12, 2016

Youcat commented through CCC – Question n. 126 - Part I.



YOUCAT Question n. 126 - Part I. What does it mean to say that the Church is the “Body of Christ”?


(Youcat answer) Above all through the sacraments of Baptism and Holy Eucharist, an inseparable union comes about between Jesus Christ and Christians. The union is so strong that it joins him and us like the head and members of a human body and makes us one.    

A deepening through CCC

(CCC 787) From the beginning, Jesus associated his disciples with his own life, revealed the mystery of the Kingdom to them, and gave them a share in his mission, joy, and sufferings (Cf. Mk 1:16-20; 3:13-19; Mt 13:10-17; Lk 10:17-20; 22:28-30). Jesus spoke of a still more intimate communion between him and those who would follow him: "Abide in me, and I in you.... I am the vine, you are the branches" (Jn 15:4-5) and he proclaimed a mysterious and real communion between his own body and ours: "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him"  (Jn 6:56).       

Reflecting and meditating 

(CCC Comment)

(CCC 788) When his visible presence was taken from them, Jesus did not leave his disciples orphans. He promised to remain with them until the end of time; he sent them his Spirit (Cf. Jn 14:18; 20:22; Mt 28:20; Acts 2:33). As a result communion with Jesus has become, in a way, more intense: "By communicating his Spirit, Christ mystically constitutes as his body those brothers of his who are called together from every nation" (LG 7).     

(This question: What does it mean to say that the Church is the “Body of Christ”? is continued)

No comments: