Monday, April 3, 2017

Youcat commented through CCC – Question n. 267 - Part II.

YOUCAT Question n. 267 - Part II. What should be done if a Catholic wants to marry a non-Catholic Christian?

(Youcat answer - repeated) Church approval must be obtained for the wedding. This is because a so-called “mixed” (that is, interdenominational) marriage requires from both partners a special fidelity to Christ, so that the scandal of Christian division, which has still not been remedied, does not continue in miniature and perhaps even lead to giving up the practice of the faith.

A deepening through CCC

(CCC 1636) Through ecumenical dialogue Christian communities in many regions have been able to put into effect a common pastoral practice for mixed marriages. Its task is to help such couples live out their particular situation in the light of faith, overcome the tensions between the couple's obligations to each other and towards their ecclesial communities, and encourage the flowering of what is common to them in faith and respect for what separates them. 

Reflecting and meditating 

(CCC Comment)

(CCC 1635) According to the law in force in the Latin Church, a mixed marriage needs for liceity the express permission of ecclesiastical authority (Cf. CIC, can. 1124). In case of disparity of cult an express dispensation from this impediment is required for the validity of the marriage (Cf. CIC, can. 1086). This permission or dispensation presupposes that both parties know and do not exclude the essential ends and properties of marriage; and furthermore that the Catholic party confirms the obligations, which have been made known to the non-Catholic party, of preserving his or her own faith and ensuring the baptism and education of the children in the Catholic Church (cf. CIC, can. 1125).

(This question: What should be done if a Catholic wants to marry a non-Catholic Christian? is continued)

No comments: