Sunday, February 15, 2009

Philem, vv. 19-25 You owe me your very self

(Philem, vv. 19-25) You owe me your very self
[19] I, Paul, write this in my own hand: I will pay. May I not tell you that you owe me your very self. [20] Yes, brother, may I profit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ. [21] With trust in your compliance I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. [22] At the same time prepare a guest room for me, for I hope to be granted to you through your prayers. [23] Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, greets you, [24] as well as Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, and Luke, my co-workers. [25] The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
(CCC 1896) Where sin has perverted the social climate, it is necessary to call for the conversion of hearts and appeal to the grace of God. Charity urges just reforms. There is no solution to the social question apart from the Gospel (cf. CA 3, 5). (CCC 1886) Society is essential to the fulfillment of the human vocation. To attain this aim, respect must be accorded to the just hierarchy of values, which "subordinates physical and instinctual dimensions to interior and spiritual ones" (CA 36 § 2). Human society must primarily be considered something pertaining to the spiritual. Through it, in the bright light of truth, men should share their knowledge, be able to exercise their rights and fulfill their obligations, be inspired to seek spiritual values; mutually derive genuine pleasure from the beautiful, of whatever order it be; always be readily disposed to pass on to others the best of their own cultural heritage; and eagerly strive to make their own the spiritual achievements of others. These benefits not only influence, but at the same time give aim and scope to all that has bearing on cultural expressions, economic, and social institutions, political movements and forms, laws, and all other structures by which society is outwardly established and constantly developed (John XXIII, PT 36). (CCC 1887) The inversion of means and ends (Cf. CA 41), which results in giving the value of ultimate end to what is only a means for attaining it, or in viewing persons as mere means to that end, engenders unjust structures which "make Christian conduct in keeping with the commandments of the divine Law-giver difficult and almost impossible" (Pius XII, Address at Pentecost, June 1, 1941). (CCC 1888) It is necessary, then, to appeal to the spiritual and moral capacities of the human person and to the permanent need for his inner conversion, so as to obtain social changes that will really serve him. The acknowledged priority of the conversion of heart in no way eliminates but on the contrary imposes the obligation of bringing the appropriate remedies to institutions and living conditions when they are an inducement to sin, so that they conform to the norms of justice and advance the good rather than hinder it (Cf. LG 36).

No comments: