Friday, February 13, 2009

Philem, vv. 4-7 Always remembering you in my prayers

(Philem, vv. 4-7) Always remembering you in my prayers
[4] I give thanks to my God always, remembering you in my prayers, [5] as I hear of the love and the faith you have in the Lord Jesus and for all the holy ones, [6] so that your partnership in the faith may become effective in recognizing every good there is in us that leads to Christ. [7] For I have experienced much joy and encouragement from your love, because the hearts of the holy ones have been refreshed by you, brother.
(CCC 1844) By charity, we love God above all things and our neighbor as ourselves for love of God. Charity, the form of all the virtues, "binds everything together in perfect harmony" (Col 3:14). (CCC 1391) Holy Communion augments our union with Christ. The principal fruit of receiving the Eucharist in Holy Communion is an intimate union with Christ Jesus. Indeed, the Lord said: "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him" (Jn 6:56). Life in Christ has its foundation in the Eucharistic banquet: "As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me" (Jn 6:57). On the feasts of the Lord, when the faithful receive the Body of the Son, they proclaim to one another the Good News that the first fruits of life have been given, as when the angel said to Mary Magdalene, "Christ is risen!" Now too are life and resurrection conferred on whoever receives Christ (Fanqîth, Syriac Office of Antioch, Vol. 1, Commun., 237 a-b). (CCC 1394) As bodily nourishment restores lost strength, so the Eucharist strengthens our charity, which tends to be weakened in daily life; and this living charity wipes away venial sins (Cf. Council of Trent (1551): DS 1638). By giving himself to us Christ revives our love and enables us to break our disordered attachments to creatures and root ourselves in him: Since Christ died for us out of love, when we celebrate the memorial of his death at the moment of sacrifice we ask that love may be granted to us by the coming of the Holy Spirit. We humbly pray that in the strength of this love by which Christ willed to die for us, we, by receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit, may be able to consider the world as crucified for us, and to be ourselves as crucified to the world.... Having received the gift of love, let us die to sin and live for God (St. Fulgentius of Ruspe, Contra Fab. 28, 16-19: CCL 19A, 813-814). (CCC 1395) By the same charity that it enkindles in us, the Eucharist preserves us from future mortal sins. The more we share the life of Christ and progress in his friendship, the more difficult it is to break away from him by mortal sin. The Eucharist is not ordered to the forgiveness of mortal sins - that is proper to the sacrament of Reconciliation. The Eucharist is properly the sacrament of those who are in full communion with the Church.

No comments: